New York, Rio, Tokyo,… (The new Airport System)

..for our English users.
Gesperrt
Visas
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von Visas »

First of all I would like to thank you all in the name of the whole team:
You gave us some real valuable and (largely) objective feedback.

Because of your reactions and valid arguments we have decided to slightly redesign the hub-system. The following concept is of course maybe still not final (which lastly depends on your feedback).
And there is always the possibility that we might encounter some severe difficulties during the development which might compel us to reverse the new concept.
Nonetheless we would like to put the new concept forward for discussion.
So let’s get this started *Super!* :
The basic idea of a hub-system is going to remain.
But there are no longer only 6 airports as we had it planed but there are now going to be 20 :shock: .
These 20 international airports are going to be assigned each to a (real) country.
In this country you are going to find more (minimum 2; maximum 6) national airports which cannot be approached from outside the country.
Whereby these 20 Airports are not mandatory, ultimately the total count of airports is crucial, there should be about 80 (+/- 10%) of them. Meaning that there are 24 countries with each 3 Airports (=72) or what would be imaginably too, 18 countries with each 5 airports (=90), this is something we are going to decide later on, now it is mainly about finding countries that have at least 3 important airports (1 international, 2 national). So countries like Luxembourg are excluded a priori (:D).
If we should despite everything get round to too many airports we will probably have a poll to choose the most popular.

To clarify this I am going to explain this with an example. E.g. Germany:

The international airport would of course be Frankfurt, national I would spontaneously choose Munich or Berlin.

So Germany would be a good candidate for a country (which it is of course ;) )

In the other thread we have collected a lot of suggestions for airports and countries and these I think are going to a good basis for this discussion.
Nopott has summarized them for me (merci ;) ).

Germany
1. Frankfurt -> internat.
2. Munich -> national
3. Berlin -> national
4. Erfurt -> national

Russia
1. Moscow -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

England
1. London -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

Japan
1. Tokyo -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national
China
1. Beijing -> internat.
2. Hong Kong -> national
3. Shanghai -> national

Australia
1. Melbourne -> ???
2. Sydney -> ???
3. ??? -> national

Egypt
1. Cairo -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

United Arab Emirates
1. Dubai -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

Southafrica
1. Johannesburg -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

USA
1. New York -> internat.
2. Atlanta -> national
3. Los Angeles -> national
4. Las Vegas -> national
5. Miami -> national
6. Chicago -> national

Brazil
1. Rio de Janeiro -> ???
2. Sao Paolo -> ???
3. ??? -> national

Venezuela
1. Caracas -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

Mexico
1. Mexico City -> internat.
2. ??? -> national
3. ??? -> national

Canada
1. Toronto -> internat.
2. Vancouver -> national
3. Montreal -> national

India
1. Delhi -> internat.
2. Mumbai -> national
3. Kalkutta-> national

New Zealand
1. Auckland -> internat.
2. Christchurch -> national
3. Wellington -> national

Total:
16 Countries
34 Airports

Concerning wishes for flight routes I have to ask you not to make any suggestions for now, this is something we are going to tackle separately.
Probably some of you are now going to be unsatisfied with this – but most of you will like it, I hope :shock:
callumo
Tourist
Tourist

Re: New York, Rio, Tokyo,… (The new Airport System)

Beitrag von callumo »

Australia's international would be either
Sydney or Melbourne
third airport would be between Brisbane and Adelaide.
helcin
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von helcin »

In Brazil the largest intl. airports are, in this order:
-São Paulo (Cumbica - SBGR/GRU)
-Rio de Janeiro (Galeão - SBGL/GIG)
-Brasília (JK - SBBR/BSB)

There are other 24 international airports in Brazil and some of them could be represented as Nationals in the game such as:
-Porto Alegre (POA)
-Salvador (SSA)
-Recife (REC)
-Fortaleza (FOR)
-Manaus (MAO)

One thing i miss in Airline Tycoon 1 is the routes; only Rio de Janeiro (GIG) in Brazil and no airports in Chile, Uruguay, Surinam, etc, for example. The game should have more routes throughout the world.

I could help in the development (if it's necessary) doing a web research of the main airports in the world. :D
mcwcow
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von mcwcow »

Just a thought...Some continental area(/country) should have multiple international airports

Like USA, or China, or even Russia

otherwise, how can we see planes flying from Hong Kong to L.A.? ;)
Duncan!
KeanoManu
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von KeanoManu »

Ehm..... SERIOUSLY? Is the first message a suggestion or a fact from the developers? He doesn't have a developer sign or anything but he writes like it is something from the developers so maybe it's a translation from the German part of this site?

IF THIS IS TRUE! You seriously have to re-consider once again. 20 international airports in the game? Are you kidding? 1 International Airport for the US? For F***s sake, even one international Airport for Germany are a joke. This system would also only allow 20 countries in the world.

Five out of ten of the worlds busiest airports by passenger traffic are located in the US. These are Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas & Denver. So... Using this brain-dead system, that I for my life cannot understand how anyone can even think of in the first place, the American airport shouldn't be New York but Atlanta. Fun eh? New York as a small regional Airport. You got to go to Atlanta to fly to London (which is Europe’s busiest). If you instead count by traffic movement you have nine out of the ten busiest as American (Paris are the only non-American). Can't you see how stupid it is to limit the number of international airports?

I can understand that it should be a limit to fly from Leeds to New York but why should there be a limit to fly from Miami to Berlin? It happens IRL.

How realistic is it that only a few airports in the world are international? That only one airport in Germany is eligible to fly to Paris for example.

For people that are not from one of the world’s major countries this will also be disappointing in the way that it will make their home airport to be unavailable or at least less interesting. I would like to play in Stockholm and have routes to all over the world, just like real life.

So please... Confirm if this is something that is confirmed to be a "feature" or just a VERY BAD idea.
Visas
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von Visas »

well, I ain`t a dev and this is just a tanslation from the german news post, so that English speaking users can somewhat paticipate in the developement like the German speaking users can.

This is more or less the last "official" update concerning this specific topic:
Benjamin@b-alive: <---- one of the devs
Uff, da ist ja ganz schön was zusammengekommen, hätte wohl doch antworten sollen bevor ich die Runde HOMM gezockt hab :S
Versuche mal überall Stellung zu nehmen, wenn ich wen vergesse könnt ihrs mir gern sagen :)
Zu einzelnen Flughäfen/Ländern sag ich pauschal mal nichts, da wir ohnehin eine Art Abstimmung machen werden welche Länder/Flughäfen denn nun reinkommen (obwohl wir dann auf jeden Fall eine Vorauswahl treffen um zu verhindern das wichtige Länder gar nicht drin sind ;) )

Zitat:
Finde das mit der strikten Ländertrennung recht vernünftig. Aber wie wollt ihr das dann mit ca.20 intern. Flughäfen machen?

Da sich das spiel ja denke ich... korrigiert mich wenn ich falsch liege primär hier in Europa zuhause sein wird, sollte das Augenmerk auch (nich komplett) speziell auf dieses Welche fallen.

Zwar sind einige Länder in Europa must-haves - aber prinzipiell wollen wir eher die "Welt" ansich / den internationalen Flugverkehr abbilden als einzelne Erdteile überzubewerten.
Wie erwähnt sind "20" internat. Flughäfen mal nur so eine grobe Richtlinie gewesen, wenn ich mir insgesamt so das alles anschaue werden es wohl eher ein paar mehr werden ;)

Zitat:
Zitat:
Benjamin@b-alive hat geschrieben:
Entweder alle Länder mit nat. und internat. Flughäfen und alle internat. Flughäfen können Startpositionen sein oder auch Länder mit nur einem internat. Flughafen, der dafür dann aber als Startposition ausscheidet.

Was meint ihr ?

Wie meinst du das denn genau?

Fände es wichtig, dass man pro Kontinent schon ein paar internationale Flughäfen hat, möglichst sinnvoll geografisch verteilt. Die kleinen Flughäfen sollte man dann auch nur national anfliegen können. Wäre das so viel mehr Aufwand als die von dir hier in diesem Thread genannte Methode?

Fände es nämlich schon sehr schade, wenn Länder teils gar nicht im Spiel vorhanden sind!

Wichtig: Kontinent nicht gleich Land, das Konzept der Kontinente haben wir vollständig verworfen. Wie auch später im Thread zu sehen meine ich das grundsätzlich so:
z.b. 20 Länder mit je ein internat. + 2 nat. Flughäfen (=60) + 20 Länder mit je ein internat. Flughafen (die dann aber nicht als Startflughafen gewählt werden können)

Zitat:
USA ist z.B. viel zu groß für einen Internationalen. Da könnt man noch LA für die Westküste und Dallas(Housten für den Süden hinzunehmen. Den selbst wenn LA nen Regionaler Flughafen wär in der USA, müsste man für einen Flug nach Tokio dort immer erst nach NY was einen Direktflug allein wegen der Entfernung schonmal fast unmöglich macht.

Um das Konzept der Regionalen Flughäfen aber nicht aus den Augen zu verlieren würde ich Sie passiv ins Spiel mit einbauen + Bahngesellschaften. Und zwar in dem Umfang das man sich als "große" Airline darum kümmern muss das die kleinen Regionalen Flughäfen und die Bahngeselllschaften einem genügen Passagiere an die Flughäfen karren. Also Kooperationsverträge mit kleineren NPC Airlines und Bahngesellschaften. Sie karren mehr Passagiere an den Flughafen und bekommen dafür ne Bezahlung z.B. Dafür muss man natürlich die passende Infrastruktur schaffen.

Das könnte man dann als einen neuen Konkurenzkampf einführen. Da wird dann um die KI Gesellschaften gekämpft um am jeweils eigenem Flughafen die Passagierzahlen zu erhön.

Ja das Problem mit den USA ist wirklich doof, imho ist aber USA tatsächlich das einzige Land wo aufgrund der Geografie <zwingend> mehrere internat. Flughäfen sein müssen.
Bei Ländern wie China / Russland / Brasilien kann man da evtl. eher ein Auge zudrücken.
Evtl. kann man das auch lösen indem man einen eher zentralen Flughafen in den USA international deklariert.

Was den Kram mit den Bahngesellschaften usw angeht ... sorry aber das geht im Moment noch zu weit ;) [siehe meine Signatur]

Zitat:
Zuerst gibt es die 40 Flughäfen, so wie in AT1.
Dazu nimmt man sich einige große Länder, worauf man die restlichen 40 Flughäfen als Regionalflughäfen einrichtet.

Und in diesen Ländern kann man dann eine Regio erstellen, welche dann auch nur in dem Land fliegen kann!
(siehe LH Cityline, Augsburg Airways usw.)

So hätte man das interessante Hub-System, aber auch viele verschiedene Länder, welche im Spiel sind.

Meine Frage ist nun, was ihr davon haltet und @Benjamin, ob das realisierbar ist?

Jau so ähnlich könnte es werden (s.o.) wobei auch hier "regionale Airlines" den Rahmen von AT2 sprengen, aber abgesehen davon könnte es so aussehen.

Zitat:
nochmals (wobei das meine meinung ist) würd ich:
[die zahlen sind fiktiv hergenommen und können je nach bedarf abweichen]

* 15 länder raussuchen die es wert sind drei flughäfen zugewisen zu bekommen (einen internationalen-->knotenpunkt und zwei nationale. Darunter fällt als bsp die usa (zb LA Atlanta und NY) --> diese länder können als startpunkt geltend gemacht werden
* die restlichen 35 Länder wie zb Schweiz, Ukraine, Chile, Taiwan,... bekommen einen nationalen zugewisen. --> dieser kann nicht als startpunkt ausgewählt werden

zu den 35 ist zusagen, so weit ich das mitbekommen habe ist es finanztechnisch nicht mögliche, diese als flughafen mit interkontinentalrouten zu deklarieren. wenn ich mich irre bessert mich aus. deswegen wird es nötig einen der 15 knotenpunkte anzufliegen um weiter in die welt hinauszufliegen ;)

der vorteil dieses verteilungssystems wäre das es ein misch aus beiden systemen wäre und sehr global positioniert wäre

Grundsätzlich ja. Des weiteren ist es definitiv möglich (und wird wohl auch so sein) auch die kleineren Länder international "anfliegbar" zu machen .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alles in allem sind wir denke ich in etwa einer Meinung *Super!*
Einzige Sache die ich (noch) nicht definitiv beantworten kann wäre die Frage ob auch mehrere internat. flughäfen pro Land machbar sind, das muss ich beizeiten mal absprechen.

Es geht jetzt also primär darum, die Länder zu definieren die wichtig sind - wobei wir ja auch da schon eine ganze Menge haben ;)
Werde aber dennoch die Abstimmung nicht so "bald" starten, damit möglicherweise noch ein paar mehr Vorschläge dazu kommen. (Mal abgesehen davon muss ich mir noch genau überlegen wie wir die Abstimmung durchziehen, damit wir am Ende ein verwertbares Ergebnis haben)
Since I am not gonna translate this post anytime soon, here is a very short abstract concerning your question:

concerning the question whether we will/can introduce some more international Airports for the majors ... well I will ask about that and come back to you.
KeanoManu
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von KeanoManu »

Thank you, Visa. Both for your efforts of translating and for clarifying. :)

It's sad if they go down this route. Why limit our possibilities in the game? I can only find one reasonable explanation and that would be because they are planning to sell us more airports through expansions. I once followed another game that went down that route and left out many important features in the main game with the intent of selling them as extras later. That company went bust just a few months after release... No-one used their extras and even though they had a very large amount of people following their development of the game very few of them ended up buying the game after all the disappointment with left out features. (MonteCristo and their game Cities XL).

In the name of consistency they should either go for Berlin as the international German airport or Atlanta as the international American airport if they are still planning on using this retarded system. Berlin & New York (If they choose to use the biggest cities without caring about which are the biggest airports) or Frankfurt & Atlanta (If they choose to use the biggest airports). I would prefer to be able to fly internationally with all four. Plus all major European and American cities. Of course also all major South American, Asian, Oceania, African and other North & Central American cities.

It will kill the realism if only a few airports are international. It will also kill the fun for many of the people from minor countries in the world. Like me. Stockholm is a very international airport and should so be in AT2. With the system in the first post I’m not even sure that airports from minor countries will be included at all.

The developers really need to think again.
At least put in a "free mode" where these limitations are gone.

I played AT1 for years and the only major thing that made me stop is the lack of airports and routes. If AT2 will have even fewer of these the game will not be even close to as good as AT1. Let all countries in the world have at least one airport, most of them even more, and then let us create route freely. I know it can be some limitations in programming but shouldn't it be possible to write a script that can automatically calculate how popular a route may be? AT1 has them manually scripted for each route but programming has evolved much since 1999, right?
Visas
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von Visas »

I can recall at least two major publishers relying upon the DLC option, Square Enix/Eidos, 2K and some smaller ones too, e.g. Paradox Interactive.
So this is nothing new in the "gaming industry" and far away from being a guaranteed formula for a quick path down the sink.
Of course it`s always somewhat of a disappointment for a part of the community to hear about additional material which can be downloaded for a certain fee. But then again other players are glad to download some additional stuff and are happy to receive it days/weeks/months after the release of the game and not to have to wait, say a year, for anything new.

A reason given for the restriction (I`d like to add, a fairly week one) was the processing capacity needed to calculate the AI´s behavior if it were to be given to many options.
But as far as my understanding goes there will be more airports than in AT1 vanilla (48 Airports), we are talking here about roughly 80 Airports which would be as much as there were in AT deluxe.

This would be some cool gimmick to designate your own routes, I`d love to see this one in the game too.
KeanoManu
Tourist
Tourist

Beitrag von KeanoManu »

I still hate the idea of being restricted to rules like this as I prefer to play my games just as I want them. But if it's no possibility at all for it to change I would like to at least propose a minor change. You guys should skip the focus on countries and instead divide the world into continents or sub-continents. The idea you had in the first message are way too much focused on certain larger countries. An example could be something like this.

WESTERN EUROPE (All of Europe except the former Soviet Union)
International: Berlin, Paris, London, Madrid & Rome.
National: Stockholm, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Munich, Dublin, Belgrade, Athens, Lisbon, Vienna, Prague, Oslo, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Manchester, Brussels, Zurich, Milano, Zagreb, Marseille

EASTERN EUROPE (Simply the former Soviet Union*)
International: Moscow, Warsaw
National: St.Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Krakow, Kiev, Riga, Tallinn, Bucharest, Astana

MIDDLE EAST
International: Tehran, Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Riyadh, Dubai
National: Baghdad, Beirut, Doha, Amman, Jerusalem, Damascus

ASIA
International: Tokyo, Beijing, New Delhi, Bangkok, Hong Kong
National: Shanghai, Osaka, Seoul, Mumbai, Chennai, Taipei, Singapore, Hanoi, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Dhaka, Islamabad, Karachi, Colombo, Jakarta

OCEANIA
International: Sydney, Wellington
National: Perth, Brisbane, Auckland, Hobart, Darwin

NORTH AMERICA
International: New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Toronto, Mexico City
National: Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Anchorage, Denver, New Orleans, Honolulu, Vancouver, Quebec, Guadalajara

SOUTH AMERICA
International: Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Caracas
National: Sao Paulo, Montevideo, Santiago, Bogota, Lima, Guatemala City, Havana, Panama, Quito, Asuncion, Santa Cruz, Fortaleza

AFRICA
International: Cairo, Johannesburg, Lagos
National: Cape Town, Algiers, Addis Ababa, Dar Es Salaam, Dakar, Accra, Antananarivo, Abidjan, Casablanca, Nairobi, Luanda, Tunis

If I counted this right this is 120 airports. 30 International and 90 national. This is a little more than the 80 you where counting on but not much and it would add very much to the diversity of the game.
Just think about it. With the initial system you would have to exclude some major airports, mainly in Europe. For example Amsterdam or Brussels are important cities but in small countries. And Venezuela? Which other major cities do we have there except for Caracas?

And as I said in an earlier message. As this system is unrealistic in the first place, Berlin should be the major Airport in Germany and not Frankfurt. Otherwise you would have to make maybe Atlanta as the major American airport to be consequent.

* Except Prague which are so close to Western Europe both geographically and cultural that it would be silly to not include it as Western. :)
Gesperrt